This is a general forum about western movies. All topics about western films are welcome. Forbidden stuff: Politics, religion and other sensitive stuff, spam, trolling. Please be nice to other people here.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Stagecoach (Ford/39)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Altair

PostSubject: Stagecoach (Ford/39)   Thu May 20, 2010 12:23 pm

One of the all time great Westerns, John Ford's "Stagecoach" (1939), propelled John Wayne to stardom as the Ringo Kid, But there are a host of other great performences, especially from Thomas Mitchell. The indian chase climax is one of the most gripping action scenes you'll ever see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scherpschutter
Kitosch
Kitosch

PostSubject: Re: Stagecoach (Ford/39)   Thu May 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Very imported movie from historic point of view, and the Indian attack is of course great, but it somehow never really became one of my favourites. Haven't seen it in a while though, so I probably should watch it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Altair

PostSubject: Re: Stagecoach (Ford/39)   Thu May 20, 2010 5:08 pm

scherpschutter wrote:
Very imported movie from historic point of view, and the Indian attack is of course great, but it somehow never really became one of my favourites. Haven't seen it in a while though, so I probably should watch it again.
I saw it for the first time a few years ago and thought it was okay, but nothing special. However, recently, I saw it again and it has fast become one of my favourite films. I find the characters very appealing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stagecoach (Ford/39)   Wed May 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Have watched the stagecoach attack on Youtube and though well directed I don't like the "kovboys (I like to spell it that way) - good indians - bad" thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://westernmovieforum.niceboards.net
Altair

PostSubject: Re: Stagecoach (Ford/39)   Thu May 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Vassili wrote:
Have watched the stagecoach attack on Youtube and though well directed I don't like the "kovboys (I like to spell it that way) - good indians - bad" thing.
In the film, the indians are treated like a force of nature, like the wind. Only one of them is ever named and the chase scene is the only time they make an appearence. Remember this as well: the Idians were mis-treated, but they still did attack people during the wars. I also wouldn't let something like this stop me from watching a film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Altair

PostSubject: Re: Stagecoach (Ford/39)   Fri May 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Stagecoach (Director: John Ford) B/W 92 mins U 1939

Synopsis: A group of travellers, from widely different social classes, board a stagecoach at Tonto, Arizona, in 1880, to Lordsburg, New Mexico. Along the way, they pick up a wanted outlaw called the Ringo Kid (John Wayne), who is out to revenge the deaths of his father and brother at the hands of Luke Plummer and his gang. But on the trip, not only do they have to deal with each other and their social tensions, but the Apache Indians are on the warpath…

Review: “Stagecoach”, directed by John Ford, who once said that his friend Wyatt Earp had advised him on how to stage a gunfight, was based on the taut 1937 short story “The Stage to Lordsburg” by Ernest Haycox, who seems to have lifted more than a page or two from the celebrated 1880 French story “Boule de Suif” by Guy de Maupassant. The film, which was released in 1939, the so-called “greatest year in film history”, when classics as diverse as ”Gone With the Wind”, “Only Angels Have Wings”, “The Wizard of Oz” and many others premiered, shot its star John Wayne to authentic stardom (he had appeared in hundreds of Western serials and B-movies throughout the thirties after he had starred in Raoul Walsh’s “The Big Trail” [1930] that had been a financial disaster), where he stayed until his death in 1979 at the age of 72. The director John Ford made 140 films in his career, starting in 1917 with “The Tornado” and ending in 1966 with “7 Women”, most of them Westerns and nearly all of his sound movies post-1939 considered to be classics. He won the Academy Award for Best Director four times (1935, 1940, 1941, 1952), a record that has yet to be beaten. “Stagecoach” has now passed into film lore, with its deceptively simple plot and message (the point being that people from lower social backgrounds can be just as good as individuals than those from the upper class), the iconic, zoom-in on John Wayne’s face as he twirls his rifle, making one of the cinema’s greatest entrances and the brilliantly executed sequence where the Apache’s chase the stagecoach across a flat plain which benefits from legendry stunt-work by Yakima Canutt. But this film isn’t just a string of well-remember scenes tied together by some threadbare acting; the cast, which includes the aforementioned Wayne, Thomas Mitchell in an Oscar-Winning role, John Carradine, Claire Trevor, Andy Devine, George Bancroft and a young Tim Holt are all superlative; they turn their characters from being stereotypes into living, breathing people. The black and white photography by Bert Glennon captures the raw beauty of Monument Valley that few other people did and John Ford’s direction is perhaps amongst the finest ever committed to celluloid. Orson Welles claimed that in preparation for making “Citizen Kane” (1941), he watched “Stagecoach” over forty times to teach himself on how to make a film. And anything that can teach Orson Welles a thing or two about filmmaking, we should hold in awe.

Rating: 5/5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stagecoach (Ford/39)   

Back to top Go down

Stagecoach (Ford/39)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1